Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Danny Thomas & St Jude


This came across my emails today: On February 16, the U.S. Postal Service will officially release the new Danny Thomas stamp, just six weeks after what would have been his 100th birthday. And fate being the sly gal that she is, this week our family -- and families worldwide -- will be celebrating another big day: the 50th anniversary of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, which was certainly the crowning achievement of our father's life and career.

The whole article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marlo-thomas/st-jude-at-50_b_1257228.html
My support for St Jude Hospital goes back a few years. It actually started when I was a youth minister at St Bede's in Williamsburg, VA. When I produced my first Christmas project, Christmas with You (on cassette) the proceeds went to St Jude. My next Christmas project, All Hearts Go Home For Christmas, produced in LA was also a benefit for the cause - all the writers, musicians and producers volunteered their time and talents and local business supported our efforts financially. When all was said and done, we donated $13,000 to St Jude over the life of the project. I performed at the hospital - one of the most moving performances I've experienced and then toured the hospital singing Merry Christmas and Felice Navidad to the kids who couldn't get to the lobby. Looking at these photo takes me right back to conversations with these kids and their parents.

No comments: