Friday, January 15, 2010

the making of a CD: Nashville day 3 & 4

Well as you can tell day 3 slipped away from me. We were in the studio 10am Wednesday, did alot of mixing, had a schedule change with vocals and then at the end of the day, recorded the last song that I still had to do...we got back to the hotel around 11pm and I was in bed by midnight because day 4 was just as long.

My backup vocalists from way back (I've had them on all my CDs but Moonlight)
came in at 10am on Thursday and were ALIVE in the spirit! Amen!! Vicki Hampton, Robert Bailey and Kimberly Fleming. They did vocals on 6 (SIX) songs in 5 hours!!! and wait til you hear them! They were the backup vocals for the original version done by Wynona Judd on one of the songs I'm using on this CD so they had that one down pat. Barb got them on video so look for some footage on my web site down the road. Recording CDs is truly a labor of love, a birthing if you will. It becomes its own life. There is a lot of "stepping out of the way, leave your ego at the door" for all parties involved (including your truly) to let the best of everyone's gift come forth and become a part of the "whole." It is truly an awesome God filled experience...and it is a pleasure to work with so many spirit filled souls in 1 room!
So today is the last day of the week...today's session starts at 10am with my harmonica player (another artist I've had on my projects since way back...and an incredible artist in his own rite, Jim Hoke). Kim Parent (another long time music family member) comes in for back up vocals at 11am, Terry White (male vocalist) comes in at 3pm and then I have parts to do before hitting the road for OBX.
Hogan and Jackson have been perfect roadies! Yes I left my big brown dog and prayer partner Winston, at the homestead watching after the cats, the house and Molly (our alpha senior pup 15 years old) not necessarily in that order.
off to the studio...


No comments: